The One-Stop Shop For All Your Legal Needs

Modifying divorce terms when circumstances change

On Behalf of | May 29, 2019 | Divorce

After you file your divorce paperwork in Wisconsin, you may think the terms of the agreement are unchangeable. However, there are some circumstances when you may be able to modify the terms of your divorce to address changes in your life. At Law Offices of Benske, Gatzke, McFadden and Rose, we understand that divorce agreements sometimes need modifications if they are to continue meeting the needs of everyone involved.

There are many common life events that may cause you to seek a change in your divorce agreement. For example, if your income changes substantially, it may be necessary to increase or decrease the amount of spousal support you pay or receive. Sometimes divorce modifications may remove alimony orders completely.

Child custody issues may also lead to a change in the terms of your divorce. If you are not the custodial parent, certain events may cause you to request changes in child support or custody terms. For example, you may petition for custody if circumstances affect your ex-spouse’s ability to care for your children. If you lose your job, you may request to have your child support payments reduced temporarily.

You may also seek modifications to your divorce terms if you are the custodial parent. Your divorce agreement may require you to live within a certain area that allows your children to be close to your ex-spouse. If you want to move away from the area or to another state, you may submit a petition for the court to modify your divorce. You and your ex-spouse may be able to agree on relocation terms through a mediation process.

A divorce may affect certain areas of your life for years. However, you may be able to change the terms of your divorce when financial or custodial issues occur. More information on divorce modification is available on our web page.