The One-Stop Shop For All Your Legal Needs

The 3 most important professionals you need during your divorce

On Behalf of | Oct 1, 2018 | Uncategorized

Ending your marriage is a difficult process that impacts your life legally, emotionally and financially. To figure out property division, child custody and support payments, it is best to enlist the help of various professionals. This will help you make the right decisions and deal with the stress of divorce.

However, finding the right people to help you can be stressful. Here is a guide for the top three types of professionals you should seek and what qualities you should look for in each one:

1. Lawyer

An attorney will represent you and advocate for your best interests. Look for a lawyer who practices family law, has extensive experience and possesses negotiation skills. Receiving the right legal counsel will help you figure out complex issues that play out over the course of your separation.

2. Therapist

Leaving your spouse is an emotionally tumultuous process. It is normal to experience anger, grief, anxiety and depression during this time. You may find it difficult to manage your own emotions while ending your marriage. Thankfully, there are counselors who can help you work through your issues and feel more peaceful. Talking about your frustrations and fears in a supportive and confidential environment can make you feel better about getting a divorce. Choose a mental health professional who has experience in family counseling and has the proper certifications to help those going through divorce.

3. Financial professional(s)

You may need one or more financial professionals to manage your money matters. Understanding your finances, budgeting, divvying up assets and considering tax implications can all be hard to do on your own. You may want to hire a CPA, financial advisor or business valuation expert. Whenever you choose a financial professional, look for someone with certifications and a good reputation.

This list of professionals may not be a complete list, depending on your situation. You may also need a real estate agent, child care provider or moving company as well.